te whatuiapiti whakapapa

This included Pirau, Moteo and Tuhirangi. So, Te Huhuti swam across the lake, guided in one version by a love song that Te Whatuipiti played on his ptrino flute, which was called Te Aometikirangi. Ao noa te ra, tiketike noa mai te ra, e moe tonu ana a Te Whatu-i-apiti raua ko Te Huhuti. Te Roto-a-Tara, the Lake of Tara, is a well known sheet of water by the side of the railway line in Hawke's Bay, between Napier and Waipawa, named after Tara a grandson of Toi-kai-rakau. Possessing kinship links within Ngati Kahugunu, Rangitane, Ngati Ira and other major tribal groups in Hawke's Bay made him influential throughout the region. Legends tell us that before leaving Hawaiki, Tama te Kapua made long wooden stilts so that he and his brother could pick this delicious fruit from Uenukus Poporo Tree (Coming of the Maori, pg 39). He paid a second visit to Otatara taking the women and children as well this time. 0 Ka haere mai a Te Wheraka ki te ngaki i te mate o ona tungaane. Behold, there stands food for me, Wheraka. Rangituehu = Rakaitekura (F) (Hineiao, Tuaka, Kehu), (Te Huhuti, Ruatiti, Manuitiatoi, Parengenge, Taraia II, Hinehore, Hikateko, Kaiaotea). Kua mutu taku kino, kua puta taku pouri me te mamae o toku ngakau; ko tenei, moea to wahine. Also five loose sheets "Te Whatuiapiti" [Eponymous ancestor of Ngai Te Whatuiapiti tribe of Hawke's Bay]; "Maori language maramataka, which lists days for planting/not planting and other activities, according to the lunar cycle; "Ramaapakura Greenstone Axe; an 'extract from a sheet of paper handed by Te Kauru Hohepa to the Court during the . These are some of the words she said to - 33 Te Huhuti: You sitting there like a teko [image at the end of a Maori house]. Turauwha was alarmed and withdrew to Tuhirangi, his country retreat across the Tutaekuri River from Dartmoor. Later Parakiore came forth and defeated Ngai-tahu at Te Ewe o Taunoa. Raupo homes are a form of traditional domestic housing built from a hardwood frame (normally Manuka) and Raupo (a swamp reed) cladding and lining. THE following notes were supplied to me by Messrs. Ranginui Rautahi and Nireaha Paewai of the Ngati-pakapaka and Ngati-mutuahi hapu of the Rangitane tribe. Ka moe hoki a Te Whatu-i-apiti i a Te Huhuti, ka huaina ona taina, ara o Te Huhuti, ko nga kupu mai ra a Hine-te-moa ki a ia Noho ana me he teko, koia a Hika-teko. Heoi, ka oho a Te Whatu-i-apiti raua ko Te Huhuti i ta raua moe, te aranga ake kua tiketike noa mai te ra. First, he attacked Wainui, fought the Rangitne, and made peace with them. Te Whatu-i-apiti went up one night to Te Huhuti's whare and they slept together, and when he left her toward morning, he said: I am going to my home at Te Roto-a-Tara, you must come after me. In the morning Te Whatu-i-apiti started homewards, although Te Rangi-taumaha knew he had been with Te Huhuti. He was invited into the village for dinner and there he secretly slept with Te Huhuti and told her to come to him at Rotoatara. Te Ara The New Zealand Encyclopedia.https://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/2918/whakapapa-of-tiakitai. When they reached Omahu they were attacked and Te Aukamiti was killed, but Te Hiku escaped. He brought a gift of shellfish and eels from Lake Oingo and Lake Runanga, but Te Huhuti was dismayed at the small size of the gift compared to that which she had received from Te Whatuipiti, so Te Rangitaumaha gifted Te Huhuti her elders and brothers as servants of Wawahanga. [15][16][17][18] It is commemorated by a traditional song of Ngti Te Whatuipiti, which is recorded by John Te Herekiekie Grace: Then Rangitane rose up and defeated the war-party of Puaiterangi. Tawakeroa. [3][4] Through his father, he was a descendant of Rkei-hikuroa by his wife Ppuma; Kahungunu; Tamatea, the captain of the Tkitimu canoe; and the early explorer Toi. She was mourning for Te Kahanui and his son Hikawera who had been killed at the battle of Te Arai-o-Turanga. There was a period of time during the 1960s when the Marae was neglected and Matariki was used to house migrant seasonal workers. Our history and traditions place us on our land and tie us together as a unique people. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. [2], Te Whatuipiti sent an envoy to Irakumia at Tmaki-nui-a-Rua, whom he had defeated and made peace with the previous year, to ask him to come and help. Te Whatu-i-apiti i a Te Huhuti At length Te Whatu and Te Huhuti arose from their sleep when the sun was very high. The old woman came along to the front of the house where the two were sitting, grimacing, putting her tongue out and gnashing her teeth at Te Huhuti, and then she began her abuse. E haere ana ahau, me oma ake koe ki au ki Te Roto-a-Tara, kai reira taku kainga. I te ata ka haere a Te Whatu-i-apiti, me te mohio ano a Te Rangi-taumaha kua moe a Te Whatu-i-apiti raua ko Te Huhuti. By the time Ngati Kahungunu arrived in the Hawkes Bay generations later, Waimarama was already well populated by Ngai Tara, Rangitane, Ngati Awa and Muaupoko. Ko Hineiti, ko te taina o te hakui o Te Rangiwhakaewa, kaore i reira, i te ngaro. An invading force from the Wairoa district had driven the Ngati Whatuiapiti tribe from its lands in the Napier district. It was in the early 1980s that a hall was donated and moved onto the Marae. Their territory extended up the Tutaekuri to Mangaone, where the remains of several of their pa can be seen today. The band of Puaiterangi came here from Gisborne and when they reached Whenuahou (near Takapau) Rangitane were defeated. Sources Ballara, A. Ko Toratiti te rangatira i mate. Kaiaotea went to Tongariro. Katahi ka haere ki reira. When Te Whatuipiti caught sight of her, he was struck by her beauty, and immediately ended the battle and made peace, even though he had been winning. The three sons, Taraia II, Hinehore and Hikateko lived together at Motukumara on Lake Oingo until the time of their marriages. Ko raua anake nga taane. There is approximately seven acres which is known as the total marae area. When Te Huhuti arrived at the edge of the lake she took off her garments and swam across to the canoe anchorage at the pa. A slave went down to get some water for Te Whatu-i-apiti and came upon Te Huhuti by the side of the water, but she - 32 did not know it was Te Huhuti. Suspecting a trap, Te Whatuipiti sent a group of women with an old man. Other Mori terms for genealogy are kwai and ttai. The majority of his followers fled the province to places like upper Manawatu, Pohangina and Taranaki. Te Whatuipitis men captured the survivors as they came ashore and killed them, including Te Maha and Te Ika i Te Atu. He was a leader of Ngati Te Whatuiapiti. Arataua was captured and interrogated by Kikiterangi as to the whereabouts of Puaiterangi. The stream had previously been inhabited by another taniwha named Te Horearua. Different sources also strongly disagree about whether Te Rangitaumaha also gifted large areas of land in the Heretaunga region to Wawahanga. Secondly, Ngati Awa which was founded by the ancestor Koaupari lived at Otatara. Ka aranga ko tenei kai-oraora. Ngati-parakiore came from Te Reingaomahuru pa to Te Katea where they defeated Ngai-tahu (of Takapau). Whakapapa: Hoani Waikato (of the Ngai Te Whatuiapiti tribe of Hawke's Bay) In the book "Maori Tattoo" by Pakeha ethnologist David Simmons and his Maori informant Ko Te Riria V (The Bush Press, Auckland, 1989), and in other articles by these two, it is claimed that the person called Waikato who signed the Treaty of Waitangi at Mahia is Ko Te Riria Waikato (Tairea) Whakaherehere, the supposed . She reached Roto-a-Tara at night. (A famous story concerning Te Whatuiapiti is given on page 16, issue no. Te Wao, sister of Whangataua, was killed there. He tangata whakama au ki tenei mahi. Kua mohio te wahine ra ko tona taane te tangata e korero ra. Ko Te Awariki te Rangitira i mate. Although history recounts skirmishes, and waves of invasion from Ngati Kahungunu, true to old traditions they intermarried with the local people. No other version, Maori or English, is known to me. The decent of this marriage became the new aristocracy. Ana oti ka mau i a koutou a Hiku. Hiku kei reira e whanga ana. Please enable JavaScript in your browser's settings to use this part of Geni. Printer. No te patunga aranga tonu iho a Te Rongo pahekeheke. Noho ana me he hore, koia a Hine-hore. . This caused a windstorm to appear which sank the enemy ships. ORIGIN OF THE NAME OF THE NGATI-MUTUAHI HAPU OF TAHORAITI. No te taenga ka tapahia te uma, ka inumia nga toto a mate noa. This sort of thing embarrasses me. The woman knew that he who spoke was her husband and when she was lying with the other man she was most distressed, but Te Hiku placed his hand over her mouth to prevent her from crying out. Raumatanui, Tineia = Father of Hikawera, II; Te Wwhanga-o-te-rangi; Mihi-ki-te-kapua; Keke; Te Rangiwawahia and 6 others; Nukanoa; Hine-mate; Te Mauritangohia; Kaimatai; Tiakore and Te Upokowhirikete less had direct links to this line through his grandfather Te Karaha and also to Tumapuhiarangi and Hinengatira through his mother Hinekona. Tamaira E korero ana, Te kai o ta tatou wahine, ma wai ra e ngaki tona mate. Ka utua e te wahine nei. The reading rooms will be closed. Eventually their father settled them on the land. It happened that at that time his wife was being ill-treated by the people in the pa, (she having been captured at Omahu), and they were asking who was likely to avenge her. 2. Richard John Seddon Te Tau. This pa was situated on a double-peaked hill where trig 53 now stands, on the eastern side of the Dannevirke-Weber road near Kaitoki. Whakapapa is the foundation of our identity as Ngati Poporo. He agreed for them to re-occupy Tuhirangi on condition that they bring up his nephew Rangituehu to be a chief over them. Te Whatuiapiti was the chief of a Ngati Kahungunu group who settled in Waipawa in about 1550AD. ,6`2~fO`)&InJF@O>&}A@!Ig`J` |[ Our taha wairua flourishes and is emphasised by the enthusiasm and energy we have to carry our culture forward. descendants, Rakai Hikuroa = The Mahangaiti lagoon is said to be the old course of the river. It was heavily fortified and was established very early in the history of the tribe. Te Rangiwhakaewa had a famous carved house, Aotea, the foundations of which are said to have been visible within living memory. Tiakitai was a key figure in the Heretaunga invasion by powerful interior tribes. Kauwhau and taki refer to the process of tracing genealogies. Waikareau. I haere mai i Turanga. Ko Te Kaiateatua raua ko Rakaihikuroa nga rangatira i patua. Ka puta ai koe ki te whaiao ki te aomarama! This merging of the bloodlines made it less likely that there would be continuing pockets of resistance to Ngati Kahungunu and established the mana rangatira of Heretaunga, which continues today. Te Wheraka came to avenge the deaths of her brothers. His brothers were also placed in other parts of the wider territory, Te Kikiri at Waipukurau and Te Orihau 1 at Te Hauke, with Hawea in Heretaunga. Nga Hapu o Waimarama whakapapa dates back to pre-migration times. He defeated and killed Tupokonui and Tupaka at Kaikoura near tne, he killed Muheke at Pakipaki, and he defeated Ngti Kahungunu at Waimrama in the battle of Waipuka. His younger brother Harawira Te Tatere Mahikai inherited his leadership role and was also one of the chiefs that signed the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840. Iwi. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ngti_Te_Whatuipiti&oldid=1113966724, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Mataweka marae and Nohomaiterangi wharenui on Tapairu Road at, Pukehou marae and Keke Haunga wharenui on State Highway 2 at, Te Whatuipiti marae and Te Whatuipiti wharenui on Te Aute Trust Road in the Ptangata area and north-east of, Kahurnaki marae and wharenui on State Highway 2 at Te Hauke, Korongat marae and Nukanoa wharenui on Maraekakaho Road at, This page was last edited on 4 October 2022, at 03:22. They took over the coastal area around today's Napier, and later moved inland to Waipawa. How we engage with our land and its coasts is crucial to our identity, our culture and our tikanga. Unfortunately this whare did not have proper foundations and because the wood was rotting, it was demolished and burnt. [13], Te Whatuipiti now planned to attack Pokia and Tahinga, at their village, Takutai o te Rangi. When she returned she heard of Hikawera's arrival, whereupon she cried out, Let me kill him so the sun will turn about and shine upon you. Te Umuroa replied, How shall you use your weapon when the wave of the sea is lying there? (i.e., when Hikawera was under the protection of Te Rangiwhakaewa.) Living a Healthy Life with Long Term Conditions, Registrations now open - Kura Whakakairangi (2021), Waimarama Marae Whanau Ora Day Marae Health Clinics, Paua Reseeding at Ohinemakawe & Taingamata (Cray Bay). He married Te Aopatuwhare about 1649, in Hawke's Bay, New Zealand. He named the area Te Ipu o Taraia. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. The three sons, Taraia II, Hinehore and Hikateko lived together at Motukumara on Lake Oingo until the time of their marriages. Katahi a Te Whatu-i-apiti, ka piki ki runga i tona whare karanga ai. Ka kii atu a Hiku, Ki te tangi mai nga manu, ki te patai nga tangata, he aha tena?, me kii atu he aio i te ata, kei muri he marangai, me haere ki te mahi kai i te moana.. Ngti Te Whatuipiti, Ngti Te Whatu-i-piti or Ngi Te Whatuipiti is a Mori hap (subtribe or branch) of the Ngti Kahungunu iwi in Hawke's Bay, New Zealand. Whakapapa means genealogy. (Hiku arranged for men in the trees near the pa to imitate bird-calls by blowing leaves.). Ko wai tera, e ka horo, ka horo, a te Roto-a-Tara i a Te Huhuti. Te rongonga o te iwi me Hine-te-moa ko Te Huhuti tenei, te tino huinga ki te marae o te whare o Te Whatu-i-apiti, kiki ana tera i te mano o te tangata. He fled with some elders to his cousin Tumapuhia in the Wairarapa, abandoning his pregnant wife, Te Kuramahinono. Toratiti was the chief who died on this occasion. He was born at Taupo about 1840 and was a member of the Ngati-Rangiita clan of Ngati-Tuwharetoa. Hisinfluence declined in generations to come and it was the descent of his two brothers who founded ongoing hapu. HUy\L. 6e pd}Q ab Bbd}JR"`]DT,UPt"V{oLs|@ z I konei ka pataitia ko wai e haere hei tutei i te pa. Ka karanga a Hiku, Ko au. Katahi ka haere a Hiku. Then he made his base at Te Purotu. H*wSp Whakatangi ai i to pu More about our Waitangi Day event; Services to schools We are experiencing minor disruption to some services, caused by the flooding in Tmaki Makaurau, but we are working hard to minimise disruption for schools in the North Island. In Wairarapa, Te Whatuipiti developed his military skills by leading attacks on Waingawa (near Masterton) and taki(on the Kapiti coast). Hikawera went there and upon his arrival, said that he had come to Te Rangiwhakaewa to ask him to assist Te Whatuiapiti to avenge his loss. This fight was called Kai-te-kopua. Engaging programmes for all year levels from ECE to Year 12, Browse and contribute to New Zealand's Online Cenotaph, Experience life as a WWI soldier in Pou Kanohi Gallery. Te Awariki (see whakapapa below) was the chief who was slain there. Turauwha, the high chief, managed to hold Otatara and an uneasy peace treaty was established. When Rangitane people from Foxton visit the Dannevirke district a fog descends on Raekatia mountain, and the local people say that Whangaimokopuna is weeping for his old friends. Ka tae, Kaati kaati, tu ai taku kai nei a Wheraka, Kei te komaingomaingo oku rau e rua mo te upoko e. Mohou e Tioirangi herepu mai na kei tou hemihemi. As Ngati Poporo we are Uri of Nukanoa and his wives Te Wharemuka and Te Mouha who were sisters and granddaughters of his half brother Hikawera tuarua. Unlike many of the Heretaunga chiefs, Tiakitai chose not to migrate to Nukutaurua under the protection of Te Wera Hauraki and Te Pareihe. Tahito-tarere _3\nhZp-]2Lu8:@h9eM@Z@BJS401|x [i'>]184pK8A=Y )E\ 0GUADU 1N Rangitamaha's daughter, Huhuti married Te Whatuiapiti. 6. Te rongonga o Hine-te-moa i te ingoa o Te Huhuti, ka tu te hakui nei ki te papaki i tona aroaro. Korongata Marae is a Mori Reservation for the purposes of a Marae, a place of historic interest. Back then both these whare stood side by side and between them was a whare raupo. During this time families lived in their own homes on their entitled blocks of land. However, there were many raupo homes, with dirt floors that were occupied by whnau. The encounter took place at Wharepa where Whangataua was captured by Te Pohutu. This information is available on the. Tamateakota, Hinewaka = The purpose of their journey had been to make peace, and the attack upon them was the origin of the name Te Rongopahekeheke (the broken peace). Wakapakani i a Rurua-rau Tiakitai had direct links to this line through his grandfather Te Karaha and also to Tumapuhiarangi and Hinengatira through his mother Hinekona. The relationship of the hapu of Moteo, Omahu and Waiohiki stems from this generation. Ka mate a Te Wao, tuahine o Whangataua. It was situated on Raekatia mountain at the head of the Mangapuaka stream. Ranginui Rautahi informs me that in olden times the smaller pa at various points along the Manawatu river were used as outposts for the main pa, Te Reinga o Mahuru. I mate ai a Te Hokitonga raua ko Tuhakoria. The calabash was filled with water and lifted up, when Te Huhuti said: For whom is the water?. Te Awhina i a Tama-i-whakarukerukea When the slave returned to Te Whatu-i-apiti, he said to her: Where is the water? She replied: The calabash was broken by a person sitting at the side of the water. Te Whatu said: Do you not know the person? She said: No, I do not know, it was dark, and besides, she was sitting naked, she had no clothes. Te Whatu then thought that it must be Te Huhuti, so he said to his slave: Do not make it known to my mother or to the tribe. Then he took some garments with him and came to where Te Huhuti was resting. They were Tumahuki, Pahau and Rakaitekura. After picking off the men heading out of the fortress one-by-one, Takutai o Te Rangi was nearly empty and the war party quickly took it. Te Huhuti had some younger brothers and sisters and she called them by the names used by Hine-te-moa in her abuse. Nukanoa is the son of Te Whatuiapiti and Poroiti. Katahi ka patua, ka mate, ka taongia hei kai. E whakaki ana i te taha ki te wai, e hapai ana, kua patai atu, Na wai ra i tawhiti atu te hakui nei, kua tae tonu atu ki te roro o te whare e noho mai ra a Te Whatu-i-apiti raua ko Te Huhuti; e pukana ana, e wheterotero ana te arero; e ngau ana ona niho ki a Te Huhuti.

Lucy Caroline Cuthbert Grandparents, Brent Booray'' Parnell Wrestler, Craftsman Style Homes For Sale In Ohio, The Of A Neuron Contain ________ That House Neurotransmitters, Articles T