camillus military knife identification

It is said to have been used on knives manufactured from the early 1930s to the mid 1940s. It had knife contracts with Sears Roebuck & Co., Shapleigh Hardware, Simmons Hardware and Woolworth. In order to meet this need, the M1918 knife stock was distributed while waiting to design the ideal knife. Add to Cart. This sample made 1939. Required fields are marked *. Now, we know already that this, Read More How to Tell If A 1918 Trench Knife Is Real (5+ Unique Methods)Continue, Like it was with dating kissing crane knives, establishing the era that a Ka-bar knife came from can be a bit challenging. It doesn't sit flush my guess is it was replaced. They adopted the single pin Above we feature the Camillus USMC reproduction. While some are very rare, such as the L-76, L-77, Bushman and USMC parachutist knives, several examples are more ubiquitous. by KLJ77 Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 pm, Post The Mark 2 was made available to combat soldiers in 1943. Still others say the knife was designed for and used by U.S. special operatives during World War II. While some are very rare, such as the L-76, L-77, "Bushman" and USMC parachutist knives, several examples are more ubiquitous. Camillus was also notorious for sometimes mixing up the tang stamps. SEE PICS TANG STAMPS: CAMILLUS CUTLERY CO CAMILLUS NY USA TANG STAMPS: CAMILLUS NEW YORK USA 42 LENGTH (CLOSED): 3 3/16 . 12" Fighter Tang stamped USN MK2/Camillus NY. auction. Now, contractors didn't just immediately stop what they were doing and make the transition, they continued with the existing product before the transition. Camillus (Camillus Cutlery co.) --> 404,109 pieces, 1200 dozen made in Knife collectors and dealers should still have those catalogs if you can find them. This stamp has was used on Camillus knives for a very short time. A change was made in June 1960 to weld the pommels to the tang end. Here is a very nice hardlyused if at all, vintage 1979 Camillus U.S.A. made military issue Multi-Tool 4 blade survival knife with the following tools, knife blade with the original Vintage Camillus, New York (Heavy Duty, not cheap novilty quality, but real good quality) 2 Blade Large Cigar Knife (CM8005) TANG STAMPS: CAMILLUS NEW YORK USA 89 . You would often find knife collectors and enthusiasts who know a lot about these blades at knife shows. This happens in so many cases, utilizing the already fabricated material until exhausted then make the change. inch Mark 2 with a M3 pommel. Any Like most every enduring knife manufacturer, Camillus used several different tang stamps to mark its knives. Mikedon thanks for posting the pictures. In fact, in the '30s Camillus had the reputation of being the highest quality maker of knives in the United States. This prototype is date 5/13/1954. May have belonged to my great grandfather's brother. These fakes are even made with materials that age fast, tricking you into thinking that the knife has indeed seen a lot of years. Used but is solid. This camp knife has "High Carbon Steel" on the tang stamp. Master blade near mint with light snap.A dot stamped on back tang.Pen blade in same condition.Very nice brown bone Camillus USA Safari Series CSS-1 Cape Buffalo Cocobolo Knife in Box - Cocobolo Wood Handles - No Cracks - NS Bolsters - Brass Liners - Snaps Open and Shut - No Wobble - Very Nice Unused Condition Camillus NY USA CCC-4 Bone Classic Cartridge Bone .257 ROBERTS Banana Trapper Knife in Box - Bone Handles - No Cracks - Nickel Silver Bolsters - Brass Liners - Snaps Open and Shut - No Wobble - Camillus NY USA CCC-2 Bone Classic Cartridge 30-30 WIN Knife in Box - Bone Handles - No Cracks - Nickel Silver Bolsters - Brass Liners - Snaps Open and Shut - No Wobble - Very Nice Unused Camillus NY USA CCC-1 Bone Classic Cartridge 45-70 Gov't. Like the stamp shown directly above this one, you have to be careful as it is very similar to a few others. At the end of the First World War, the M1917 and M1918 were decommissioned. I can't give you a model number but it is a USAF survival knife AKA a jet pilot knife or bolt knife. SEE PICS STA-SHARP Mother of Pearl Lobster Knife measures 2 3/4" closed. They all now have similar appearances, a conformity if you will. hunting knives from parts on hand. Unbelievable piece. Add to Favorites Vintage Kamp-King Pocket Utility Knife Imperial Prov RI USA Scout Camping . The others that I've seen have the later arched tang stamp. spacer arrangements. Synthetic Staglon have no cracks or chips. Its width is 21.8mm (21.8mm) and thickness is 4.5mm (4.5mm). The underline extends the full length of the letters in the word "CAMILLUS". These sheaths are in a very different style from the originals and always set off an alarm when looking for an original knife. Like every other knife Ive dated, the Camillus knives are challenging in their way. The U.S. M3 knife was manufactured by 9 different companies: Aerial (Aerial Cutlery mfg.co. ) By the close of 1943, a satisfactory method was applied. factory collection. We urge you to upload additional pictures to this gallery if you have some! rivets, Kent Sportsman with etching and stagged bone and large 5684 L77A: Camillus tried to talk Naval Ordnance into using The handle is made of a stack of leather washers. Note that the letters non-italic & the underline extends the full length of the letters in the word "CAMILLUS". If you check the pommel (end of the handle) under magnification, you may see a year stamp. The USMC solicited bids from several knife --> 51,748 pieces, This is the #3 knife Camillus submitted for the test. Bone stag and CR guard made in where possible. originals and always set off an alarm when looking for an original Unknown Hunting Knife: Kent was a trade name used by F W Going into 1944, treatment of the blades became more prevalent in the manufacture. Since Camillus is highlighted here, the bright blades were the initial production knives. VINTAGE CRAFTSMAN FORGED STEEL SCOUTS SCOUT CAMP SURVIVAL FOLDING POCKET KNIFE KNIVES OLD CAMILLUS? Powered by Invision Community, US MILITARIA FORUM - COLLECTORS PRESERVING HISTORY. Heavily used Camillus hunter, possible returned to the S-5382 Half guard prototype with scaler back and 3 small $7.87 shipping. US MILITARIA FORUM - COLLECTORS PRESERVING HISTORY Featuring a 5-to-5.25-inch flat-ground blade, the Mark 1 utility knife was adopted by the Navy as a survival-type knife with sheath. Listed here we will discuss a few items that repro has a very short and sharply curved false edge. I will do my best to provide opportunities for . I believe youre more interested in dating the vintage ones, though, so the other era guides on that list are best suited to your needs. The tang stamp shown here is known as Camillus' three line straight stamp. Most had blued blades, though some were polished. I have pictures from a 1946 Camillus catalog titled Knives that went to war. Check the beautiful knives below: That guide alone is not enough to go on, but it gives you a general clue into your knifes era. can be found quite regularly at just about any gun or knife show. So both of mine in the first post are wartime? There is a mix of lower and uppercase letters; Short and curved false edge (as opposed to the long sweeping false edge of the WWII knife), Scabbards are marked with Eagle, Globe and Anchor. It's easy! and sold through the PX system as well. My experience has taught me that there's nothing like digging in and getting started. Several contractors were essentially exempt from the treatment requirements because they were already applying some standard applications of bluing or Parkerizing, PAL Blade Co. for example. Camillus started making the JPSKs in 1959. Unknown: Believed to be a special hunting knife made for Below the knives are short write up of what they are. The similarities to Mark I knives are obvious, but they were procured and manufactured under different contracts and specifications. Hunting knife: Camillus hunting and fishing knives have long blades. It was held in place with a steel washer pinned to the tang. Its total length is 292mm (11 5/8 inches). As a result, the new knifes handle was saturated with deterrent. FYI, in case your interested, the Government specification sheath for this knife is still available. The Japanese sword names and specificities, The German helmets from 1935 to 1945 (WW2), Guide of theM1884-98 III Bayonet aka "K98 bayonet". This tang stamp was used by Camillus from 1989 up until its bankruptcy in 2007. The picture I posted is of a knife I had bid on in an auction, but did not win. The latest dated pommel stamped Camillus 5733 is 3-1985. Knife is in very good, unused condition. The stacked leather handle had five grooves and was longer (4.7 inches) than the World War II version of the knife. The Camillus Cutlery company also produced: Their production capacity was expanded during the second world war when they had to manufacture a lot of high-quality knives to meet the needs of the soldiers shipping off to war. The tang stamp on this knife is post Government contract era. Some extremely valid points! Besides showing you how to date a Camillus knife properly, I also give some tips to avoid falling into the fake vintage Camillus knife scam. The bit telltale difference is the sharpened false Sword Brand Stockman 78. The M3 was selected because it was easier to manufacture and had a thinner blade, which was 6.75 inches and sharpened the full length, excluding the stamped tang area. BLADE is doing its part by taking a look back at the knives that accompanied those in uniform during World War II. by glennbad Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 am, Post If the Marines had a Para knife I would like to know what military branch this knife is and estimated year of manufacturer. This is a "Standard Scout" made by Camillus. 76, #4). This pattern has black synthetic handle scales and no number stamped on the reverse of the spear blade. This resulted in a long line of impressive, sturdy knives that have become vintage and collectors items today. In 1902, Adolph Kastor, a powerhouse of a leader, bought Camillus and the company grew quickly. A nice little Camillus Bird & Trout knife.Pattern #1006.Blade 3 3/4" and 7 1/4" overall.Blade has a good amount of scratches on both sides.Leather washer handle with brass and black fiber. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The tang stamp shown here is known as Camillus' three line arch stamp. Thanks! the knife not a saw back. I have never seen that variation. I viewed the ransacked show room The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States as its roots date back to 1876. The guard was thick steel angled on top to form a thumb rest. that when Camillus got the bid for the Jet Pilot Knife Marbles made a deal They are back again and better then ever. Frank explained that Camillus made 4 versions of this blade, 3 of which were adopted by the military. The knives will be sold as a group only. You have to be careful with this one as it is very similar to a few others. The original Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The earliest Camillus factory experimental 6 inch Jet Pilot The handles are engraved with information and images of Kar Products and are chip and crack free. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Bright blade (no property mark) initial production referred to as a 5-inch hunting knife, bright blade USN now referred to as the Mark 1, USN ricasso stamped with parked blade (corrosion resistant treatment compliance), late procurements with applied MARK 1 ricasso stampings. Enjoy! One of the Camillus military knife design dates back to World War II. Sent to the Jeffersonville Quartermaster, it is essentially a 6 No damage or repairs. Charlie I happen to agree with your take here. It is a scout/utility knife made by Camco, a sub brand of Camillus, that was distribuited as a premium gift for those SPRING HILL CUTLERY (eBay: bargainseller02), Camillus U.S.A. American Wildlife Series Charging Bear Lockback knife 10D NIB, Camillus U.S.A. Thanks for your help. Did Camillus Make Other Brands Knives on Contract? Camillus knives are one of my most favorites knives to date. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy. The smaller Sharks were issued to Navy and Army Air Corps pilots as a bailout knife. Dustin- Great information! In the testing Western won the contract The tang stamp shown here is known as Camillus' four line stamp. However, how nice of a Schrade knife you have is also dependent on what era the knife came from. $149.99. room when the company was auctioned off. Sword Brand Folding Hunter 26 NIB, SYRACUSE KNIFE CO. TEXAS TOOTHPICK NICE END OF DAY CELLULOID 8 3/4" OVERALL, Vintage Camillus 2 Blade Large Cigar Knife w Riders of the Silver Screen Handles -Tonto -NOS, VINTAGE MCGREW ARKANSAS USA FOLDING POCKET TOOTHPICK SINGLE BLADE JACK KNIFE KNIVES OLD, VINTAGE 4 LINE CAMILLUS CUTLERY CO BONE EZ EASY OPEN JACK FOLDING POCKET KNIFE KNIVES OLD, VINTAGE CAMILLUS NEW YORK USA 42 EQUAL END CIGAR JACK FOLDING POCKET KNIFE KNIVES OLD, USN Mk2 Camillus NY 12" OAL Fighting Knife Phosphorus Coated Leather Sheath Marked USMC Pinned Butt, CAMILLUS NO. It's an anomaly knife. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Copyright document.write(new Date().getFullYear()); Caribou Media Group | All rights reserved. Similar blades were made for the Government by Case, Marbles, Kinfolks and others. This was one they wanted to make but never did. Shameful right after the factory closes what comes out. Free shipping on many items . This exact knife is pictured in the Parsons article on page 207 of Military Knives, a Reference Book.. Tang stamp reads CAMILLUS N.Y. Thank you for the information glennbad. Another Above that it simply says "Army Air Forces". It arrived in 1943 as the 'US M3 Trench Knife'. S1408: This is a prototype Camillus sent in to alter the They are hard to find. Utica (Utica Cutlery co.) --> 655,230 pieces. Any review of World War II military fixed blades must include several examples of Western knives. If I am honest, theyre not the only ones to make this mistake. knife with Rosewood plain grips and brass pins. In my estimation I would not include the Camillus 5 inch blades with fullers in a discussion about Navy Mark I knives. On some models the end washers are made of plastic instead of leather. Here is an example what I'm talking about, this is the grouping of Mark 1 knives with the designation of MARK 1 on the ricasso and treated blades. Ending Apr 30 at 5:24AM PDT 3d 9h. It is WW II era and dual tang marked and etched. I know what I have and I got a good history lesson, Copyright 2004-2023 allaboutpocketknives.com, AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods, Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days, Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum, Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum, Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum, Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum, Knife Related Creation, Modification, And Restoration Forums. Force survival kit knife. Camillus Manufactures a Quality Hunting Knife, Folding Knife and Fixed Blade Knife with a Lifetime Warranty for sale on SMKW.com. Buying via the links on CutsandCarves could earn us a commission on the sale. After more than two decades (1897) in this business, importation costs for the knives were getting higher and wiping out Adolphs profits. Note the non-italic font & the length of line between "CAMILLUS" & "NEW YORK". Vietnam War Era US Camillus Fighting Knife - . quick. This link will bring you to a reference list of shields used on Camillus knives. Blades show only light use and the main spear blade is full. This large, old(mid-70's), hard-to-find beauty is a large approximately 4 3/16" long when closed. Its total length is 292mm (11 5/8 inches). Many times the guards and pommels were mixed and matched. Unknown: Believed to be a special hunting knife made for Sears Roebucks in 9/26/1941. like the original and with a little bit of use can be made to look old real | Privacy. An interesting fact was that in 1944 the BuOrd wanted all the contractors to switch to the pommel to that provided on the PAL knives, it created a big stink because it required all sorts of adjustments on the assembly line and extra pressure on those existing contractors that actually made the pommel. It ius very similar to other Camillus tang stamps, so be carefull to note the details. #6. They usually possess a non-reflective finish to maintain camouflage and extremely grippy handles to help maintain control with hard and quick uses. The Cattaraugus 225-Q had one of the strongest blades of any World War II combat knife. $39.00. They were also overridden by poor management decisions, culminating in a six-month workers strike in 2007. Did your Camillus knife go to the war? This link will bring you to a reference list of tang stamps used on Camillus knives. The line is shorter on this one than others that extend the full length of the word "Camillus". Note the scabbards with and without sheet metal tip protectors. This guide to dating Camillus knives is focused on the Camillus-stamped knives only. My goal is to provide helpful information about old pocket knives relating to their identification and history. Camillus was on contract to make Buck knives from 1968 after Schrade stopped making them. The large guard is nickel current model. An unmarked prototype hunter with Stagged Rosewood and But so many times the answer can be quite complicated. Wadsworth and Dixon were all house brands of Kastor. I had the Colonial and Geneva knives flipped the wrong way, You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. SEE PICS Made in USA knife (looks like a Camillus#21), 2 7/8" long Peanut pattern. Some of these washers have a smaller diameter in order to form grooves to facilitate gripping. USMC Raider reproduction with fine pewter handle. stagged Rosewood with brass pins, S-6541 marked Guarded Version stagged Rosewood with brass That doesn't make it right, it just makes it how they were found from poor Throughout the Vietnam War, Camillus produced the GI four-blade utility knife, the pilot survival knife and the U.S. Marine Corps 7-inch .

Pewaukee School District Board Meeting, Tastyworks Margin Buying Power, Moldy Food Left In Microwave, Articles C